Share your passion for learning with the next generation
Share your passion for knowledge and learning with the next generation who will shape the future. There are few occupations that have a greater impact than teaching. The AOE education studies program prepares teachers who will lead in the classroom with confidence and care as they serve children, families, and their communities.
Education Studies Program Options - AOE
AOE offers two education bachelor’s degree options that are offered 100% online. Whichever option you choose, you will graduate prepared to complete the North Carolina Teacher Licensure requirements.
Step into K-6 classrooms ready for every challenge. Our elementary education bachelor’s degree provides graduates with the knowledge to lead from day one. At Campbell AOE, we are proud to graduate passionate teachers committed to serving children and families.
In the elementary education bachelor’s program, you will gain an in-depth understanding of curriculum, assessment, and instructional practices while learning how to meet the diverse needs of every student. You will examine the learning process of students and learn to effectively plan instruction to meet their academic needs.Explore the Education BS Curriculum Plan
Special education teachers are vital to ensuring students with special needs develop intellectually, physically, emotionally, and vocationally. The AOE bachelor’s degree in special education emphasizes taking an evidence-based approach to teaching students with disabilities in grades K-12, understanding and evaluating student performance, and modifying instruction to help all students achieve academic success.
The curriculum includes a comprehensive study of theoretical issues related to teaching students with disabilities, as well as curriculum design, classroom management, and implementation methods. You will also learn how to communicate effectively with parents, colleagues, and administrators.Explore the Special Education BS Curriculum Plan
Both of the AOE education studies program options provide you with a broad knowledge base in several core areas including, assessment, curriculum development, teaching methods, educational psychology, program planning, and adaptive technology.
- Learn in a program with a proven track record of success on the edTPA national licensure test all graduates must pass prior to being recommended for an initial NC license.
- Benefit from the flexibility of getting your education degree online, allowing you to get practical experience while balancing other professional or family responsibilities.
- Develop your skills in a teacher education program that emphasizes a close mentoring relationship between instructors and students.
- Learn from seasoned faculty who share first-hand classroom teaching experience. All faculty have NC teaching licenses that align with the courses they teach.
- Benefit from access to both online and on-campus faculty who partner and collaborate in all aspects of the educational studies program to ensure the highest quality student experience both online and on campus.
- Enjoy the convenience of doing your clinical field experience close to home; online students are placed in local schools where they live.
- Complete 10-hour short field experiences that build confidence and skills. Prior to student teaching, you will have already gained approximately 50 hours of experience in the classroom.
- Join via Livestream with all main campus students who are doing practicum; participate in a group setting to ask questions as students share their experiences in the classroom.
- Benefit from accelerated 8-week terms that allow you to complete your degree sooner and put your new skills to work faster.
Courses You Will Take
AOE are courses designed in eight-week accelerated terms to allow flexibility for adult learners. The AOE education studies program introduces you to a broad range of subjects, depending on your area of interest:
- Introduction to Education
- Assessment and the Data-Informed Teacher
- Education Technology Foundations
- Teaching Writing Across the Curriculum
- Adaptive Technology
- Teaching Students With Learning Disabilities
- Interventions for BED and Students With Autism
- Diagnosis and Assessment In Special Education
Skills You Will Learn
The curriculum in the education studies program provides you with essential teaching skills and a firm foundation in the theories, principles and practical applications necessary for teaching success in the elementary education or special education classroom. In addition, each program also emphasizes skills development in:
- Critical thinking
- Cultural sensitivity
The majority of our education studies graduates go directly into the classroom and a teaching career in elementary education or as a special education teacher.
- Other opportunities include specialized special education settings such as a home for special needs students or special needs schools.
- Some graduates launch their careers in preschool settings.
- Those with teaching experience can later move into instructional coaching within a school.
- Some graduates in the program ultimately pursue a master’s in education which can open additional career opportunities such as school counselor, curriculum designer, digital learning specialist, educational administrator, and educational consultant.
Every state has unique licensure requirements for educators. For the most up-to-date information on North Carolina teacher licensing requirements, please visit the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction website.