Homeland Security Degree
Learn to serve, protect and lead at the only four-year undergrad homeland security degree program in N.C.
About the Campbell Adult and Online Education (AOE) Homeland Security Program
Get the training you need to launch a career in homeland security, emergency management, or law enforcement at the only college in North Carolina to offer a four-year undergraduate homeland security degree.
The AOE Homeland Security Degree
The AOE Homeland Security program provides you with the practical skills and knowledge required to become a security specialist and begin your homeland security career. In this program, you will broaden your understanding of economic, political, and social issues both on a national and international security scale and prepare to lead, protect and serve in the area of security and emergency management that interests you.
What is Homeland Security?
Homeland security is a broad field encompassing many professional areas. Homeland security specialists are professionals trained to identify and mitigate threats to the health and safety of local communities, states, and the nation that arise from acts of terrorism, public health crises, and natural disasters. Security specialists develop strategies to prevent threats and response plans to manage emergencies when they occur.
Homeland Security Degree Program Learning Outcomes
The Campbell AOE Homeland Security degree program is based on the critical needs identified by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security after 9/11 and is updated continually to reflect the most current challenges and requirements in security and emergency management.
You will learn about the homeland security system, gain fluency in the vocabulary of homeland security, become familiar with domestic and international terrorist organizations, recognize strategies for disaster prevention and emergency management, and examine areas of the world in which international terrorist organizations are formed.
Additional learning outcomes:
- Understanding interagency connections
- Gaining knowledge of how the intelligence cycle works
- Learning how the emergency management cycle works and its application to national and international security
- Examining the historical context of how conflicts and security crises arise
- Completing a career-related internship and a capstone research paper
- Developing job-critical presentation skills
Why Choose Campbell AOE for Your Homeland Security Degree?
The AOE Homeland Security program provides you with a broad knowledge base in several core areas of homeland security and emergency management so that you will know how to identify and manage threats related to health and safety at the local, national and international level. In addition to the comprehensive curriculum, in the AOE program, you will:
- Gain expertise as a security specialist in the only four-year undergraduate program in North Carolina.
- Develop your skills in a highly-respected program designed specifically to train professionals for security, emergency management, and law enforcement careers.
- Customize your degree and broaden your knowledge beyond core courses through electives based on your areas of interest including organized crime, border security, cybersecurity, criminal justice, and emergency management.
- Complete internships at state, local, federal law enforcement agencies, emergency management organizations, or private sector emergency management services to develop real-world skills and boost your resume.
- Get the opportunity to build on ROTC/Military training to enhance your existing career or transition to a new professional area.
- Leverage the flexibility of getting your homeland security degree online or at one of three campuses — in a program developed specifically for online and adult learners.
- Benefit from accelerated 8-week terms that allow you to complete your degree sooner and put your new skills to work faster.
- Learn from instructors who bring real-world professional experience, and expertise/certification in both classroom and online instruction.
- Get a more personal experience with smaller class sizes, allowing greater connection/interaction with your instructors.
Homeland Security Degree Tracks - AOE
The AOE Homeland Security degree introduces students to a broad range of core course subjects. We offer the Homeland Security degree in BS, BAS and AS degree tracks:
The Bachelor of Science program prepares you for homeland security-related careers by developing your expertise in areas including intelligence and warning, border and transportation security, domestic counterterrorism, protecting critical infrastructure, defending against catastrophic threats, and emergency preparedness and response.
Online | Camp Lejeune | Fort Bragg | Raleigh
Credit Hours: 124
A Bachelor of Applied Science degree track for students who already hold an Associate in Applied Science degree in a related discipline and for military students with a minimum credit of 10 semester hours in qualifying applied science credits. Please consult the academic catalog for complete information about credit requirements.
Online | Camp Lejeune | Fort Bragg | Raleigh
Credit Hours: 124
An introduction to the fundamentals of homeland security and the humanities/social sciences culminating in an Associate of Science degree that provides workplace-ready skills or opportunities to transfer to a bachelor’s degree.
Online | Camp Lejeune
Credit Hours: 62
The Homeland Security Curriculum
Courses You Will Take
AOE are courses designed in eight-week accelerated terms to allow flexibility for adult learners. The AOE Homeland Security degree introduces students to a broad range of core subjects, including:
- National & International Security
- Homeland Security
- Critical Infrastructure Protection
- Intelligence & National Security
- Introduction to Cybersecurity
- The National Government
- State and Local Government
- World Regional Geography
- US History I & II
Skills You Will Learn
The Homeland Security curriculum teaches you to think critically and work collaboratively as a homeland security professional. Among the specific skills you will develop:
- Public speaking
- Analysis and planning
- Teamwork and collaboration skills applicable to interagency work
- Writing skills
- Application of homeland security management strategy for international and domestic security
Homeland Security Jobs
The objective of the Campbell AOE Homeland Security program is to prepare students for a rewarding career in professions related to homeland security. What can you do with a homeland security degree? The field is broad and you can find homeland security jobs and establish careers in many different professional areas including:
- Law enforcement careers
- National and international security
- Border patrol
- Corporate security
- Transportations security
- Risk management
- Intelligence analysis
- Emergency preparedness and response
- Corrections officer
- FBI, ATF, SBI
- Immigration and customs enforcement