Master of Arts in Teaching
Share your passion for advanced teaching and learning with the next generation
The mission of the Master of Arts in Teaching program is to prepare candidates for the everchanging 21st Century Classroom with a focus on the learner and the learning process. An emphasis on community and faith engagement as a part of the “village” to educate students undergirds this program of study.
Through Individualized projects, assignments, and clinical internship experiences teacher education candidates can learn research-based instructional methods which aligns to all developmental aspects of the growing and continuing learner. Practical application within these internships affords the candidate an opportunity to become the reflective practitioner to make sound educational decisions about learning in a classroom.
This program is intended for college and university graduates who may or may not have formal education coursework or training. Students who complete this program would fulfill some eligibility requirements for NC state teacher licensure.
Master of Arts in Teaching Course Format
Campbell Online offers the first 8 courses 100% online. The two remaining courses require in-person internship experience in a classroom.
This program provides you with a broad knowledge base in several core areas including, assessment, curriculum development, teaching methods, educational psychology, program planning, and adaptive technology.
- Learn in a program with a proven track record of success on the edTPA national licensure test all graduates must pass prior to being recommended for an initial NC license.
- Benefit from the flexibility of getting your education degree online, allowing you to get practical experience while balancing other professional or family responsibilities.
- Develop your skills in a teacher education program that emphasizes a close mentoring relationship between instructors and students.
- Learn from seasoned faculty who share first-hand classroom teaching experience. All faculty have NC teaching licenses that align with the courses they teach.
- Benefit from access to both online and on-campus faculty who partner and collaborate in all aspects of the educational studies program to ensure the highest quality student experience both online and on campus.
- Enjoy the convenience of doing your clinical field experience close to home; online students are placed in local schools where they live.
- Benefit from accelerated 8-week terms that allow you to complete your degree sooner and put your new skills to work faster.
Courses You Will Take
Courses are designed in eight-week accelerated terms to allow flexibility for adult learners.
EDUC 518: Teaching Reading Methods
EDUC 621: Educational Technology
EDUC 625: Educational Assessment
EDUC 628: The Whole Child
EDUC 633: Teaching in a Global Society
EDUC 643: Special Needs Students
EDUC 648: Governance in Schools
EDUC 699: Teaching of Mathematics
EDUC 519: Practicing the edTPA
EDUC 700: Clinical Internship
Skills You Will Learn
The curriculum in the MAT program provides you with essential teaching skills and a firm foundation in the theories, principles and practical applications necessary for teaching success in the elementary education or special education classroom. In addition, each program also emphasizes skills development in:
- Critical thinking
- Cultural sensitivity
- Curriculum Designer
- Digital Learning Specialist
- Educational Consultant
- K-12 General Education Teacher
- K-12 Subject-Specific Teacher
- Special Education Teacher
- Adult ELL Teacher
Every state has unique licensure requirements for educators. For the most up-to-date information on North Carolina teacher licensing requirements, please visit the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction website.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree in any field from a regionally accredited US institution with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.5.
- Satisfy Campbell University General Admission Requirements by submitting a completed application.
- No standardized tests such as GREs are required for full admission.