The Associate in Arts in General Education introduces students to a broad range of subjects to provide a comprehensive educational foundation and skills development for the workplace. The general education associate degree allows for career flexibility, depending on your personal career goals. It can boost your earning potential in an existing job, prepare you for entry-level business-related jobs, or it can be a springboard for transferring credits to complete a four-year degree.
General Education AA Learning Outcomes
The General Education AA is a generalist degree that provides maximum flexibility for entry-level employment, career growth, or continuing education. Learning outcomes include:
- Developing relevant skill sets to meet the needs of the evolving job market
- Preparing to be effective purpose-driven contributors to their chosen career
- Improving personal communication and problem-solving skills
- Providing the general course requirements to apply towards a baccalaureate degree in their chosen field
The Adult and Online Education general education associate degree provides a broad knowledge base in liberal arts, humanities, science and social sciences courses.
- Leverage the flexibility of taking your General Education AA degree online or at one of three campuses — in a program specifically designed for the needs of online and adult learners.
- Benefit from accelerated 8-week terms that allow you to complete your degree sooner and put your new skills to work faster.
- Learn from instructors who bring real-world professional experience, research expertise, and long-time classroom experience (both online and in-person).
- Create career mobility and flexibility with a general education degree that builds a broad knowledge base and soft skills suitable for any workplace.
- Earn a general education associate degree that can transfer into a four-year degree to increase career opportunities or meet personal career goals.
- Get a general education experience that is more personal, with smaller class sizes that allow greater connection/interaction with your instructors.
Courses You Will Take
- Academic Writing and Literature
- Western Civilization
- Mathematics Elective
- Science (with Lab)
- Fine Arts
Skills You Will Learn
- Writing, research, and communication
- Critical thinking and problem solving
- Technology usage
A General Education AA degree is versatile in that it develops soft skills and a solid educational base that can be applied to a variety of professions and jobs according to your career interests. An associate degree can also provide a valuable entry point into the workforce and a career that can be built upon with further education and training that can lead to advancement and higher pay. Jobs can be found in the private and public sectors, nonprofits, and entrepreneurship in a variety of industries.
Potential jobs with an associate degree include:
- Customer service representative
- Secretary or administrative assistant
- Financial clerk
- Property manager
- Retail sales worker
- Travel agent
- Wholesale and manufacturing sales representative
- Human resources assistant